The Sanshu inu or Sanshu Ken, is a dog belonging to the Pomeranian group of medium size. These bear a great resemblance to the Chow Chow in terms of their physical appearance.
If you want to know about this beautiful breed, its characteristics, character, care and more, do not miss the article that we bring especially for you.
The Sanshu Inu is actually a modern dog, because unlike other dog breeds , it is not so old. The origins of it are marked at the beginning of the 20th century, exactly in the year 1992. They are a cross between a Chow Chow dog whose origin is Chinese, with Japanese dogs belonging to the Aichi region.
The result of these crosses was the Sanshu dog, which was gaining fame because it was a breed of multiple varieties. Being of medium size, these were used as hunting dogs, although they also stood out as companion dogs.
The breed came to be accepted by the FCI, entering into group V with the number 258. However, following the request of the JKC (Japan Kennes Club) the Sanshu were removed from the list of accepted breeds.
This request was due to the fact that the breed had a very short life span and also presented several morphological problems. So they cannot be pigeonholed into a certain standard.
They are medium-sized dogs, with measurements between 50 and 55 centimeters in males, while females reach a height of between 45 and 50 centimeters. As for the weight, this can be between 20 and 25 kilograms.
The colors that the breed is allowed are varied, they can be observed between: gray, white with cream, cream, red, black, with spots, salt and pepper. Although, there are some other varieties that can also be supported.
There is a great controversy regarding the physical characteristics of this breed, as it is due to a cross between Japanese races and a foreign race, so it does not present all the characteristics of the Japanese races.
Like any dog, this breed also requires certain care that will help it have a healthier and happier life.
It will be necessary to do a constant brushing, because its type of coat requires it, it should be done at least 2 times a week. In this way, we will ensure that the dog does not have loose hair on its body that can cause knots.
The bathroom for this breed does not have to be so constant, with which they bathe every 2 or 3 months is enough, because they do not tend to get very dirty. Although if you notice that it is very dirty and needs to be bathed, you can do it without problem; just remember to always dry it well lego from the bathroom
Due to their precursors, these are also considered hunting dogs, so they will require a balanced and high-quality diet. You can feed them with feed or with homemade food, as long as you make sure that it contains the adequate portions of the nutrients it requires.
They are dogs that have abundant, double-coated fur, so they do not tolerate high temperatures very well. During the summer, or times of very high temperatures, you can choose to ask a dog groomer specialized in this type of breed, to cut their hair so that it is not so annoying.
You should always be aware that the puppy has fresh water in its drinker. In addition to being vigilant in case you begin to have symptoms of heat shock.
The Sanshu dog is affectionate, affectionate and very cheerful, so you will always see them playing and having fun with his owners and family. They are dogs that love to receive affection, when they notice that you have time they will approach you in search of affection and attention.
They are active, as they carry the genes of Japanese dogs in their blood, they love to have constant physical activity, so it will be essential that you provide them with entertainment and daily exercise.
Although they love to be running in the yard or garden, they are not usually destroyers of these spaces, as they are very well behaved. If you train and educate them, you will never notice inappropriate behavior in these dogs.
They like to socialize, however, it will be necessary for you to get them used to it from puppies, as they are sometimes a little fearful of strangers, so they could show a withdrawn behavior or bark constantly.
Diseases and Health
They are dogs that are generally in good health, as they do not suffer from congenital diseases that greatly affect their physical or motor capacity. However, they tend to have problems with their teeth, because once their permanent teeth come in, some pieces are usually missing.
Morphologically, these dogs are born with some variations, which although it does not seriously affect the health of the animal, does not help them to standardize in some category of dogs.
In addition, like the vast majority of medium-sized dogs, they can suffer from problems such as:
- Patella luxation.
- Hip dysplasia.
- Digestive problems.
10 curiosities of the Sanshu
- They are modern dogs, since their origin dates back to the beginning of the 20th century.
- Because they are a mixture of Japanese races with a race of Chinese origin, the Sanshu were not accepted into the list of the Japan Kennes Club.
- They are affectionate and very loyal dogs, so they will always be with their owners giving affection and always faithful to them.
- They were hunting dogs, however, today they are used as companion dogs.
- Although they are generally healthy, due to the lack of pieces in their teeth, they have some difficulties when it comes to eating some foods that other dogs eat without problems.
- Although they are very active dogs, they are not destructive, so your patio, garden and furniture will be safe with them.
- Not much is known about this breed, because being relatively new and found only in Japan, few have managed to study and date it.
- Its physical appearance bears many similarities to that of one of its predecessors: the Chinese Chow Chow.
- There are still people who are fighting for the breed to be accepted again, however, positive responses have not yet been obtained.
- They are ideal for families with children, as the Sanshu is a very patient and playful dog, so it will enjoy spending time with the little ones. Of course, both should be taught to respect each other and treat each other politely.